Continuing Professional Development
To come in line with the Standards for Continuing Professional Development designated by the Australian Health Professional Registering Authority (AHPRA) the Education and Professional Development Subcommittee (E & PDS) of the AASTN has revised our Continuing Professional Development (CPD) portfolio to enable STNs to complete their CPD on one document and meet both sets of requirements.
As STNs work at an advanced level of nursing practice, achieving 30 hours of STN specific professional development (AHPRA minimum is 20 hours) reinforces to employers the additional commitment involved in this role.
- Points are to be translated into hours (1 hour = 1 point)
- 30 hours of context-specific (ostomy, wound, continence or breast care) activities are to be recorded
- Your annual learning plan and reflection on the activities undertaken
- Proforma for a variety of activities have been developed if you wish to use the AASTN portfolio
- Identification of the range of STN Standards met by the activities
- CPD year is 1st June to 31st May each year
- If you are already using another portfolio, you do NOT have to use and submit the AASTN portfolio for recognition
- An excellent, alternative portfolio that is easy to use can be found at www.ausmed.com
- CPD portfolios are to be submitted electronically to your E & PDS representative
- If you are not registered for CPD, please do so at any time until December 31st
Stomal Therapy Nurses may choose to use the new portfolio developed by the E & PDS to record their CPD activities as a "stand alone" record.
The record can remain confidential to you and your agency, or be submitted to the AASTN CPD and Credentialing Officer for recognition.
This recognition can later be used for Credentialing purposes if desired and is an essential criteria for being an AASTN Preceptor.
Certificates will be emailed to participants each year as a record of achieving 30 hours of CPD.
The following links to activities STNs may wish to undertake for additional CPD points are provided in support of those who may need extra activities to bolster their learning:
- IFolio (free) www.ifolio.com.au
- Wounds Australia (formally WoundsWest) (free) www.awma.com.au
- 3M Skin and Wound Care e-Learning Modules (free – register by emailing) 3Mhealthcareerdu@mmm.com
- Metastatic colorectal cancer online modules (free) www.mcrccare.com.au
Clinical Nurse Consultant Stomal Therapy
Garran ACT 2605
Phone 02 – 6244 4255